The Official Samba 3 By John H. Terpstra & Rinze Vern
From the Back Cover
"The breadth of technical information provided in this book ensures that even the most demanding of administrators will find something they need."
--Andrew Tridgell, President of the Samba Team and the original author of Samba
The practical, authoritative, step-by-step guide to cutting IT costs with Samba-3!
This is the definitive guide to using Samba-3 in production environments. It begins with the immense amount of HOWTO information published by the Samba Team and volunteers around the world . . . but that's just the beginning. The book's Samba Team editors have organized and edited this material around the practical needs of working Windows(R) administrators. UNIX(R)/Linux administrators will find all the answers they need as well.
Whether you're deploying Samba for the first time, integrating Samba into a Windows 200x Active Directory environment, migrating from NT 4 or Samba 2.x, or using Samba in a UNIX/Linux environment, you'll find step-by-step solutions, carefully edited for accuracy, practicality, and clarity. You'll learn all you need to make intelligent deployment decisions, get running fast, and use Samba-3's powerful new features to maximize performance and minimize cost.
Step-by-step installation techniques and proven configurations that work "right out of the box."
- Essential Samba-3 information that leverages your Windows networking knowledge
- Detailed coverage of Samba-3's powerful new user/machine account management, network browsing, and mapping capabilities
- Authoritative explanations of advanced features such as interdomain trusts and loadable VFS file system drivers
- Clear information on how Samba-3 handles Windows desktop/user policies and profiles
- Practical techniques for optimizing network printing
- Specific guidance for migration from Windows NT 4 or Samba 2.x
- Troubleshooting techniques that draw on the knowledge of the entire Samba community
About the Authors
Editors JOHN H. TERPSTRA and JELMER R. VERNOOIJ are members of the global Samba Team, a loose-knit group of about 30 people who contribute regularly to Samba. John H. Terpstra is a co-founder of the Samba Team.
Series Editor BRUCE PERENS is an Open Source evangelist, developer, and consultant whose software is a major component of most commercial embedded Linux offerings. He founded or co-founded Linux Standard Base, Open Source Initiative, and Software in the Public Interest. As Debian GNU/Linux Project Leader, he was instrumental in getting the system on two U.S. Space Shuttle flights.